Monday, November 2, 2015

The Last Screen: A Cautionary Tale

By Judith Fitzgerald
Bankruptcy Judge (Ret.)
Tucker Arensberg, P.C.
University of Pittsburgh School of Law
Pittsburgh, PA

The United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit issued an opinion on October 30, 2015, that should be of interest to everyone who files pleadings electronically.  In Luther Franklin v. John McHugh,  Docket No. 14‐4096‐cv,[1] the Court of Appeals dismissed an appeal for lack of jurisdiction due to a failure to complete the filing under CM/ECF.  The attorney did everything CM/ECF requires, including paying the $505 filing fee, but then missed the last step, so the document was never actually submitted to the court. 

When counsel learned, five days later, that the docket did not reflect the filing of the notice of appeal, someone in his office contacted the Clerk and was instructed to re-file the document with a new filing fee.[2]  The second notice was filed and noted on the docket.[3]  Unfortunately, for an appellate court to assert jurisdiction over an appeal, a timely filed notice is essential.  As the court noted:               

The timely filing of a notice of appeal in a civil case is a prerequisite to the appellate court’s jurisdiction. See Ray Haluch Gravel Co. v. Central Pension Fund,134 S. Ct. 773, 779 (2014); Bowles v. Russell, 551 U.S. 205, 214 (2007) (“Bowles”); Perez v. AC Roosevelt Food Corp., 744 F.3d 39, 41 (2d Cir. 2013).  As the Supreme Court observed in Bowles in 2007, “[T]ime limits for filing a notice of appeal have been treated as jurisdictional in American law for well over a century.”  551 U.S. at 209 n.2. Like other jurisdictional requirements, the timely filing mandate is not subject to judicially created equitable exceptions, see id. at 214 (observing that the Supreme Court “has no authority to create equitable exceptions to jurisdictional requirements”).
The court looked to the instructions posted on the trial court’s website regarding the CM/ECF filing process.  “The Eastern District publishes its instructions for electronic filing in that court’s CM/ECF User’s Guide, available on its website.  As relevant here, it instructs: Upon completion of an electronic filing the last screen you see is a Notice  [o]f  Electronic  Filing  screen. This  screen  will  tell  you, among  other  things,  the  document  number  assigned  to  your document; will contain your electronic file stamp; and, at the bottom of the page, will notify you that a notice will be, or will not be, electronically mailed to counsel.” (citation omitted).

The lesson to be learned is that THE LAST SCREEN, the notice of electronic filing, is the only screen confirming that the document was actually filed and docketed.  The court recognized that the differences in processes utilized by the numerous courts that now have electronic filing systems in place may be confusing but refused to consider that as a sufficient excuse here.  CM/ECF has been in use in Eastern District of New York for over a decade.  

The court also addressed an alternative form of relief that counsel failed to seek.  Pursuant to Fed. R. App. P. 4(a)(5)(A), there are circumstances in which counsel could seek an extension of time to file the notice of appeal, provided that the request  is made no later than 30 days after the initial time to file expires and excusable neglect or good cause is shown.  The court indicated that this may have been one occasion where excusable neglect or good cause was shown:

Thus, after Franklin’s counsel learned on October 28 that his October 23 notice of appeal was not in fact “filed,” he might have moved the District Court, within 30 days after the appeal deadline, see Fed. R. App. P. 4(a)(5)(A)(i), to extend the time for filing his notice of appeal. Absent an extension, however, the rule of Bowles means that  our Court cannot accept Franklin’s notice of appeal as timely. And the District Court no longer has authority to alter Franklin’s time to appeal. See Fed. R. App. P. 4(a)(5)(C) and 4(a)(6). 
The opinion is a serious reminder to be sure you don’t log off CM/ECF before you get a notice of electronic filing with the pleading’s docket number as the receipt.  That notice is your receipt and the proof that you’ve actually completed the filing and docketing process.



[1] The case is not yet reported for publication.  Quotations are from the typescript version.
[2] The District Court refunded the first filing fee on counsel’s request.
[3] The Court of Appeals refused to recognize a hearsay statement that there may have been a glitch with the CM/ECF system itself which was the root of the problem but pointed out that the federal rules provide a mechanism for relief in that situation.
 

3 comments:

  1. I am so excited share my testimonies, maybe someone will find it useful is about how i fix my marriage form divorce .! A very big problem occurred in my Marriage seven months ago,between me and my husband .so terrible that he took the case to court for a divorce. he said that he never wanted to stay with me again,and that he didn't love me anymore.So he packed out of the house and made me and my children passed through severe pain. I tried all my possible means to get him back,after much begging,but all to no avail.and he confirmed it that he has made his decision,and he never wanted to see me again. So on one evening,as i was coming back from work,i met an old friend of mine who asked of my husband .So i explained every thing to him,so he told me that the only way i can get my husband back,is to visit a spell caster,because it has really worked for him too.So i never believed in spell,but i had no other choice,than to follow his advice. Then he gave me the email address of the spell caster whom he visited. TEMPLEOFLOVEANDPROSPERITY@GMAIL.COM. So the next morning,i sent a mail to the address he gave to me,and the spell caster assured me that i will get my husband back the next day. What an amazing statement!! I never believed,so he spoke with me, and told me everything that i need to do. Then the next morning, So surprisingly, my husband who didn't call me for the past 7 months, gave me a call to inform me that he was coming back. So Amazing!! So that was how he came back that same day,with lots of love and joy,and he apologized for his mistake,and for the pain he caused me and my children. Then from that day,our relationship was now stronger than how it were before,by the help of a spell caster. So, i will advice you out there if you have any problem contact Dr Frank Ojo, i give you 100% guarantee that he will help you.. Email him at: Templeofloveandprosperity@gmail.com . My name is Amanda Bryan, me & my family live in Toronto, Canada. Thanks for reading .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get your lover back urgent effective love spell to win and get ex back my advise reveal you all to contact Dr Ogudugu for a genuine love spell on greatogudugu@gmail.com that work fast. here is my relationship story, i'm MaryJane born in Williamsburg,Virginia Usa..my boyfriend told me it was over and walk away without any reasons, I was confuse and didn't know what to do. I was desperate, I want him back, I went over the internet looking for ways to get my boyfriend back. I read about many different ways of how to get ex back, but Dr Ogudugu caught my attention. I immediately contacted him and explained my problem to him. It was amazing and surprising that 11hrs after the urgent love spell was cast, my boyfriend called me and was begging me to forgive him and accept him back, Couldn't believe, but later after he came to my house and fell on his knees asking me to take him back am so happy that my love is back again. I am testifying on this forum just to let people know that Dr Ogudugu is real and genuine. don't hesitate to try him out. thank you Dr Ogudugu you are truly talented and gifted genuine spell caster. Contact him now if you need your girlfriend/boyfriend back or your girlfriend moved on to another man, do not cry anymore .. Dr Ogudugu is here to help out in relationship problem coz problem share is problem solve:
    Email him at.... greatogudugu@gmail.com
    whatsapp...+27663492930

    ReplyDelete
  3. am Mrs grace Faith from USA promise to share this testimony all over the world once my husband return back home and today with all due respect i want to thank DR OSUMA for bringing joy and happiness to my relationship and my family. I want to inform you all that there is a spell caster that is real and genuine. I never believed in any of these things until i loosed my husband I required help until i found DR OSUMA drsumaspellhome@gmail.com a great spell caster, And he cast a love spell for me, and he assured , me that I will get my husband back in just 24 hours time after the spell has been cast, in 24 hours later, my phone rang, and so surprisingly, it was my husband who has not called me for past a years now, and made an apology for the heart break, and told me that he is ready to be my back bone till the rest of his life with me. DR OSUMA released him up to know how much i loved and wanted him. And opened his eyes to picture how much we have share together. As I’m writing this testimony right now I’m the most happiest girl on earth and me and my Husband is living a happy life and our love is now stronger than how it were even before our break up. So that’s why I promised to share my testimony all over the universe. All thanks goes to DR OSUMA for the excessive work that he has done for me. Below is the email address in situation you are undergoing a heart break, and I assure you that as he has done mine for me, he will definitely help you too email him on,drosumaspellhome@gmail.com or contact him on is +2349073083854

    ReplyDelete