Wednesday, November 4, 2015

How Long Is Too Long to Reopen A Bankruptcy Case?



By Judith K. Fitzgerald,
Shareholder at Tucker Arensberg, P.C. and
Professor of Practice, University of Pittsburgh School of Law

In a per curiam opinion that is not precedential but of interest to lenders who take mortgages as security, the Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit decided that the Debtor’s effort to reopen her bankruptcy case was too late. 

The basic facts were stated by the court as follows:

In 1997, Scheib filed a Chapter 13 bankruptcy petition in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania. The petition was converted to Chapter 7 and in 1998, the Bankruptcy Court granted a motion by Mellon Bank, N.A. (now The Bank of New York Mellon and BNY Mellon, N.A.) for relief from the automatic stay to pursue foreclosure of Scheib's property in state court. Scheib received a discharge releasing her from her dischargeable debts and her bankruptcy case was closed on October 14, 1998. Scheib was evicted from the property that was the subject of the state foreclosure action in 1999. Scheib has since filed, without success, numerous actions in state and federal court seeking to challenge the foreclosure. 
In 2013, Scheib filed a motion in Bankruptcy Court to reopen her case. Although the motion is far from clear, Scheib appears to allege that she paid her mortgage in full and that Mellon Bank committed fraud in the foreclosure action and the bankruptcy proceeding. . . .

In re Scheib, 2015 WL 6685714, at *1 (3d Cir. Nov. 3, 2015).


The Bankruptcy Court denied the motion, inter alia, as untimely.  The District Court affirmed, as did the Court of Appeals, stating:
We agree with the Bankruptcy Court's conclusion that Scheib's motion to reopen was untimely filed. Federal Rule of Bankruptcy Procedure 9024 incorporates, with certain exceptions, Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 60, which sets forth the grounds for relief from a final judgment and the time requirements for filing a motion. Fed. R. Bankr.P. 9024; Fed.R.Civ.P. 60(b),(c). There is no question that Scheib's motion to reopen, filed more than fourteen years after her bankruptcy case was closed, was not filed within a reasonable time as required by Rule 60(c).
Scheib, 2015 WL 6685714, at *1.

The Court of Appeals noted that, although 11 U.S.C. § 350 authorizes a bankruptcy case to be reopened to administer assets and for other purposes, the debtor’s purpose in attempting to reopen this bankruptcy was more appropriately addressed to the state court which adjudicated the foreclosure.  Citing to an earlier opinion, In re Lazy Days' RV Center Inc., 724 F.3d 418, 421 (3d Cir.2013), the Court wrote:  “We have stated that bankruptcy courts should determine whether proceedings are pending in state court and which forum—state court or bankruptcy court—is most appropriate to adjudicate issues raised by a motion to reopen.”  Scheib, 2015 WL 6685714, at *2.
Because Scheib’s motion was another effort to undo the foreclosure and sale of her property, after she unsuccessfully sought relief from state court, and even though the state court foreclosure action was no longer pending, the Court ruled that “the Bankruptcy Court is not, under the circumstances of this case, the appropriate forum to seek relief.”  Scheib, 2015 WL 6685714, at *2.
Left unanswered in this opinion is the question of exactly what is a “reasonable time” that would satisfy the federal rules. How long is too long to reopen a bankruptcy case?  We’ll have to wait for another decision to know.  But fourteen years is outside the window of “reasonableness.”

8 comments:

  1. In re Dunning Bros. Co., 410 BR 877 - Bankr. Court, ED California 2009

    court reopened a 1936 case

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited share my testimonies, maybe someone will find it useful is about how i fix my marriage form divorce .! A very big problem occurred in my Marriage seven months ago,between me and my husband .so terrible that he took the case to court for a divorce. he said that he never wanted to stay with me again,and that he didn't love me anymore.So he packed out of the house and made me and my children passed through severe pain. I tried all my possible means to get him back,after much begging,but all to no avail.and he confirmed it that he has made his decision,and he never wanted to see me again. So on one evening,as i was coming back from work,i met an old friend of mine who asked of my husband .So i explained every thing to him,so he told me that the only way i can get my husband back,is to visit a spell caster,because it has really worked for him too.So i never believed in spell,but i had no other choice,than to follow his advice. Then he gave me the email address of the spell caster whom he visited. TEMPLEOFLOVEANDPROSPERITY@GMAIL.COM. So the next morning,i sent a mail to the address he gave to me,and the spell caster assured me that i will get my husband back the next day. What an amazing statement!! I never believed,so he spoke with me, and told me everything that i need to do. Then the next morning, So surprisingly, my husband who didn't call me for the past 7 months, gave me a call to inform me that he was coming back. So Amazing!! So that was how he came back that same day,with lots of love and joy,and he apologized for his mistake,and for the pain he caused me and my children. Then from that day,our relationship was now stronger than how it were before,by the help of a spell caster. So, i will advice you out there if you have any problem contact Dr Frank Ojo, i give you 100% guarantee that he will help you.. Email him at: Templeofloveandprosperity@gmail.com . My name is Amanda Bryan, me & my family live in Toronto, Canada. Thanks for reading .

    ReplyDelete

  3. WE OFFER AFFORDABLE LOAN BUSINESS/COMPANY/PROJECT/PERSONAL LOANS WORLDWIDE BY Call/Text +1(209)643-7283 Email brianloancapital@gmail.com
    XMAS IS HERE AGAIN, DO NOT BE LEFT OUT, APPLY FOR ALL KINDS OF XMAS LOAN WITH US TODAY! XMAS FREE GIFTS PACKAGE FOR INTERESTED CLIENTS

    We are financial consultants providing reliable loans to individuals and funding for business, home and projects start up. Are you tired of seeking loans or are you in any financial mess. Do you have a low credit score, and you will find it difficult to get loans from banks and other financial institutions? then worry no more for we are the solution to your financial misfortune. we offer all types of loan ranging from $3,000.00 to $600,000,000.00USD with a low interest rate of 2% and loan duration of 1 to 33 years to pay back the loan secure and unsecured. Are you losing sleep at nights worrying how to get a Legit Loan Lender? Contact us via Call/Text +1(209)643-7283 Email: brianloancapital@gmail.com

    Do you have a bad credit? Do you need money to pay bills? Do you need loan to buy, refinance or renovate your home? Is it necessary to start a new business? Do you have an unfinished project due to poor funding? Do you need money to invest in any specialty that will benefit you? BRIAN CAPITAL LOANS aims is to provide excellent professional financial services which include the followings
    * Personal loans * Business loans
    * Home loans * Farm Loans
    * Education loans * Debt consolidation loans
    * Truck Loans * Car Loans
    * Hotels Loans * Refinancing Loans
    * Venture capital and many more.

    We are certified, reliable, powerful, fast and dynamic, with no credit check and offers a 100% guarantee loans and finances

    Yours Faithfully
    Hillson Brian Christopher
    Call/Text +1(209)643-7283

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a testimony about the good work of a man who helped me make my marriage work again. My wife just suddenly hate sex we tried all method non work it became so bad that she had to move out with the kids 12 years and 3 months of marriage. I had to seek for help outside the box,  On one faithful day, as I was browsing through the internet, I was searching for solution I came across series of testimonies about this particular spell caster called Dr Ojogun  Some people testified that he brought their Ex back,  some testified that he can cast a spell to stop divorce. Etc. There was one particular testimony I saw, it was about a woman called Maria Jose from Atlanta, USA who testified about how Dr Ojogun  brought back her husband in less than 48 hours that got me intrigue. After reading all these,I decided to give Dr Ojogun  a try I contacted him and explained my problem to him. In just 6 days, my wife did not only came back to me but she now love sex and she is no longer scared of it. Dr Ojogun  is really a gifted man and i will not stop talking about him because he is a wonderful man. If you have any problem and you are looking for a real and genuine spell caster to solve that problem for you Dr Ojogun   is the answer to your problem.

    Here’s his contact.. ojogun.48hoursspelltemple@gmail.com  or You can add him up on Whats-app/ Or call +2348154637647      

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband came to me and apologized for the wrongs he did and promised never to do it again. Ever since then, everything has returned back to normal. Thank you Dr OSELUMEN  for saving my broken Marriage. Dr. OSELUMEN is the best online spell caster that is powerful and genuine. Email him today. Email him: droselumen@gmail.com   or Call or text him on WhatsApp: +2348054265852  .. .......    He can also perform the following spell below 1. Lottery spell ......2 Good luck spell........3. Spell to win case in court.......4. pregnancy spell  ........5. Death spell......

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is real take it serious, who will believe that a herb can cure ten
    years HIV in my body, i never believe that this will work i have spend a
    lot when getting drugs from the hospital to keep me healthy, what i was
    waiting for is death because i was broke, one day i hard about this great
    man who is well know of HIV and cancer cure, i decided to email him,
    unknowingly to me that this will be the end of the HIV aids in my body, he
    prepare the herb for me, and give me instruction on how to take it, at the
    end of the two week, he told me to go to the hospital for a check up, and i
    went, surprisingly after the test the doctor confirm me negative, i thought
    it was a joke, i went to other hospital was also negative, then i took my
    friend who was also HIV positive to the Dr voodoo after the treatment she
    was also confirm negative . He also have the herb to cure cancer please i
    want every one with this virus to be free, that is why am dropping his
    email address, voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com i want you to email him he
    is a great man. the government is also interested in this Dr voodoo
    thank you for saving my life, and I promise I will always testify
    for your good work you can also add him on whatsApp
    +2348140120719

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haily Bradwell
    Tue, 24 Aug, 06:27 (10 days ago)
    to me

    HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MONEY TO BINARY OPTION SCAM OR ANY ONLINE SCAM WHATSOEVER?.DO YOUR DESIRE CREDIT REPAIR[EQUIFAX, EXPERIAN, TRANSUNION? WELL, YOU HAVE FOUND REDEMPTION IN ASORE CORP.



    Asore Corp is a group of multinational Hacker's, an affiliate of Evil Corp. We make sure by all means necessary that our clients get the best of services on a🔐PAYMENT AFTER JOB IS DONE BASIS✅. Rather than send money and trust a criminal to fulfill your deal, you can make sure the job is done before WORKMANSHIP is paid for. You'll get excellent customer service.

    That's a 100% guarantee. Our Cyber security Technicians are on standby 24/7 to receive your job requests.



    ⚠️ BEWARE OF FRAUDSTARS looking to hoax.

    if you have been a VICTIM, contact : ✉️cyberprecinct@gmail.com for directives.

    Here, it's always a win for you.



    🔸OUR SERVICES🔸

    ➡️Binary Option funds recovery

    ➡️Social media hack

    ➡️Recovery of loan scam

    ➡️Credit repair (Equifax,Experian,Transunion)

    ➡️Email hack

    ➡️College score upgrade

    ➡️Android & iPhone Hack

    ➡️Website design

    ➡️Website hack

    And lots more.



    DISCLAIMER: Asore Cyber Corp accepts no responsibility for any information,previously given to anybody by clients on as regarding the job. Asore Cyber Corp will not distribute contact information collected on any hacking job other than in the Asore corps Hacker's listings themselves, and will not sell contact information to third parties.



    CONTACT INFO:

    📧 asorehackcorp@gmail.com

    cyberprecinct@gmail.com



    Copyright ©️

    Asore Cyber Corp 2021.

    All rights reserved.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello viewers I am glad to have met with the powerful herbal healer called
    Dr voodoo who use his herbs to cure my HIV disease I suffered from 15years,
    but now I am a happy woman and i am free from this sickness that has been
    problem to my living, after using Dr voodoo herbal medicine within 1week i
    was diagnose negative, I will recommend Dr voodoo to everyone reading this
    article because this herbal healer is capable to heal anything, the
    scientist said has no cure, Email him : voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com or
    add Dr voodoo on whatsApp: +2348140120719

    ReplyDelete